GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,487
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Rocky27
» Online Users: 2,470
1 members and 2,469 guests
3DGator

Old 05-02-2005, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Sooners Baseball Coach Resigns Over Racial Incident

This was the first article I read (sorry it was a forward so no URL):

Baseball coach Cochell hasn't been suspended

ESPN.com news services

The University of Oklahoma is conducting an investigation after ESPN informed the school of racially-insensitive comments made to the network by OU's head baseball coach Larry Cochell.

Although Cochell remains head coach, assistant coach Sunny Golloway will serve on an interim basis until the matter is resolved, according to a statement released by the school. Golloway coached the Sooners in their 8-1 loss to Nebraska Friday night.

Tuesday, before the telecast of the Oklahoma-Wichita State game on ESPN2 and ESPNU, Cochell used a racially-insensitive term in off-camera interviews with ESPN to describe Sooners freshman outfielder Joe Dunigan, an African-American.

Cochell was speaking with play-by-play announcer Gary Thorne when he called Dunigan over to praise him for staying in school. When the freshman returned to the field, Cochell told Thorne, "There's no n----- in him." The network informed the school that Cochell used similar language in an interview with ESPN analyst Kyle Peterson.

University officials weren't informed of the remarks until 4 p.m. Friday, when they were contacted by ESPN, according to school's statement.

"It is widely known that one of the most important values of the University of Oklahoma and its leadership is to celebrate diversity as a strength," athletic director Joe Castiglione said. "This university is a place where everyone is respected. Clearly, if these comments were made they run contrary to the core values of this institution and we will treat them very seriously."

Cochell, who has been head coach since 1991 and led the Sooners to a College World Series title in 1994, couldn't immediately be reached Friday night for comment.

In a statement released by the university, Cochell apologized for his remarks.

"I am deeply sorry for any pain or embarrassment I have caused for any individual or the university. Our university family is totally committed to equality and mutual respect," he said. "I personally hold those values and will always regret that my careless use of language did not reflect my own values, and it certainly did not reflect the values of the University of Oklahoma."

Cochell was in the dugout Thursday night when Oklahoma beat Nebraska 5-1 in Big 12 Conference play.

He coached at Oral Roberts, where he took the team to seven NCAA regional appearances and a trip to the College World Series in 1978.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

But just now, it has been reported that he has resigned:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...llcoachresigns
Old 05-02-2005, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Sooners Baseball Coach Resigns Over Racial Incident

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

"I am deeply sorry for any pain or embarrassment I have caused for any individual or the university. Our university family is totally committed to equality and mutual respect," he said. "I personally hold those values and will always regret that my careless use of language did not reflect my own values, and it certainly did not reflect the values of the University of Oklahoma."

It definitely does reflect his own values. You don't use language like that unless you THINK it. So too bad, so sad and like they say in baseball" YOUUU'RRRRRREEEE OUTTTTTTTAAAA THERE!!"

Good riddance dummy.