GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,595
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, QJAJerrell
» Online Users: 1,372
2 members and 1,370 guests
3DGator, QJAJerrell
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I recently finished reading Married Men, by Carl Weber.

Not sure when it was released, but it was GREAT!!!! I highly recommend it!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-27-2002, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I am starting Married Men tonight for our book club discussion on SAturday.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

You are ABSOLUTELY going to love this book.

Lemme know what you think about it.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

See, I thought I had read all of her books, when I finished Here and Now. But I've never read Behind Closed Doors...which means that I have to get on the good foot and buy that ASAP! And she's a Delta?! That's why I love her books so!!!! Work it out Soror! And thank Crimson for informing me of such pertinent information.

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

KIMBERLA LAWSON ROBY is the WOOOOOOO MAN!!

She is also a WOMAN of DEEEEEEEELTA SIIIIIIIGMA THETA SORORITY, INC.

Her other books FYI --
1. Behind Closed Doors
2. Here and Now
3. Casting the First Stone
4. It's A Thin Line

FYI -- several book threads on GC in DST and I have listed a lot of books that I have read and others have done the same so if you need some reading material, we have tons for you.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Books by Deltas

FYI
http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...ighlight=books
Old 03-01-2002, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

MzSportsLuva I am HOLLERING @ the cough "SHE'S A SLUT" during the wedding. CTFU, I am still reading but this is a good book.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Yeah that part had me hollering too...

I was so addicted to this book that one night I had a dream about the characters---lol.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

This book was sooooo off the hook.

All I can say is that JAY got what he deserved. I should have known that MALCOLM was going to get JAY back and get him good.

Allen was a good one because I would have KILLED ROSE & RAY!! I knew that was not her dang on cousin. Low down stanking scallywag!!
Old 03-02-2002, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Coming Soon From Eric Jerome Dickey
Coming May 2002...

Thieves' Paradise

Twenty-five-year-old Dante Black is down and out in L.A. After doing a stretch of hard time in juvenile jail, he cleaned up his act as a computer techie -only to be laid off when the economy went south. Now he's facing a mountain of unpaid bills, a car on its last legs, imminent eviction, and a snowball's chance in hell with Pam, a sexy waitress/actress on the hunt for a man with means.

Enter Scamz, a slick brother from Dante's checkered past whose successful, illegal business associations keep him in custom-tailored suits, a Benz CL600, and a lavish Hollywood mansion with his pick of gorgeous women. Dante is determine to stay straight…but gets pulled in deeper when his old friend Jackson, who's $16,000 behind in child support, becomes part of the sting. The icing on the cake is Pam, who, seduced by the easy money, suddenly finds Dante irresistible…until everything goes wrong.

Coming April 2002...

Griots Beneath the Baobab, the latest anthology published by International Black Writers and Artists of Los Angeles (IBWA-LA), honors the creative spirit of some of America's most insightful griots-by way of L.A. Griots features powerful stories by noted writers Donald Bakeer, Octavia E. Butler, Wanda Coleman,Stanley Crouch, Sikivu Hutchinson, Silas Jones, Erin Aubry Kaplan, Gary Phillips, Randy Ross, Jervey Tervalon, Ellery Washington, C., and Eric Jerome Dickey.

Griots Beneath the Baobab will be unveiled on the evening of April 5 at a reception for the authors that will take place at the Marriott Hotel near LAX. If you want more information about the reception or if you would like to order an advanced copy of Griots Beneath the Baobab, please email your request to ibwa_2000@yahoo.com.

Just Released...

Black Silk : A Collection of African American Erotica

A powerful collection of erotica from today's leading black writers and fresh voices, BLACK SILK explores exciting territory in the realm of the African-American experience. From Eric Jerome Dickey's rueful tale of lust to Lolita Files's scorching account of insatiable adventuring...to Breena Clarke's tribute to the strength of erotic imagination...to Camika Spencer's encounters online and in the flesh...to Carolyn Ferrell's story of intergenerational desire and discovery, this book sings of the power of the forbidden and the transforming-with unforgettable characters who claim their pleasure and seek its ultimate limits. Never before published, never before available, these erotic short stories are a dazzlingly sensual meditation on the very soul of passion...

Introducing…

Marissa Monteilh, author of May December Souls

A sexy, honest, and spiritual journey from a fresh new voice.Mariah Pijeaux is about to turn the big 4-0. Although she has always dreamed of becoming a broadcast journalist, she is working as a temporary assistant in Hollywood. She is a tall, striking mother of three with a honeysuckle complexion and a funky hairdo. Physically addicted to her boyfriend, Kareem Washington, an ex-professional basketball player wit the charm and charisma of a politician, Mariah yearns for a more emotionally satisfying relationship. She wants to break free from Kareem's narcissistic patterns, yet his skill at manipulating her mind and body make her feel stuck and controlled. She even attends local relationship seminars in an attempt to escape from her self-defeating patterns in relationships. And then she meets Malik Tolliver. He is a tall, dark man who just happens to be twentyone years old. She tries to resist his charm but is immediately drawn to him. This one, she hopes, will be different.Told in Mariah's own voice, May December Souls is a moving story of soul-searching and life lessons.

About the Author

MARISSA MONTEILH, a native of Los Angeles, California, is an author, entertainment industry contract recruiter, and single mother of three. She is the author of May December Souls which explores the metaphysical relationship between an older woman and a younger man. She is hard at work on her next novel, The Chocolate Ship, a humorous and romantic adventure aboard a Black owned cruise ship

Please visit her web site at: http://www.marissamonteilh.com

Upcoming Book Events:
Romance Slam Jam
Date: Thu 7-Mar-2002
Literary conference to celebrate black love.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Los Angeles, CA : Black Writers on Tour
Date: Sat 13-Apr-2002

Black Writers on Tour conference will be held Saturday, April 13, 2002, Crowne Plaza Hotel, 5985 W. Century Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90045. We expect over 300 authors, and over 100 authors exhibiting their books. We will have top literary agents to make presentations and many seminars. Projected attendance is 5000 - 6000 (authors, writers, aspiring writers, readers, book clubs, Librarians, major publishers, and others). We will have 10 powerful workshops for writers and aspiring writers. There will be a Poetry Jam/Competition, and children's writing contest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The African American Book Club Summit
Date: Sun 20-Oct-2002

The 3rd Annual African American Book Club Summit will be held onboard the Carnival Cruise Ship VICTORY, departing from Miami Florida October 20, 2002. The Ports of Call include San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Croix.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Allen was a good one because I would have KILLED ROSE & RAY!! I knew that was not her dang on cousin. Low down stanking scallywag!! [/B]
Yeah, that heffa shoulda got the BEAT DOWN! But Allen was just a little toooo s l o w for me.
Old 04-02-2002, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Lil Sunshine's Book Recommendation

I'm participating in a monthly book club and the book that we'll be reading for this month is caled, "nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word" by Randall Kennedy. When I first saw it in the bookstore, the title just grabbed me and I had to buy it. When I'm done reading it, I'll let you know how it was!!!
Old 04-02-2002, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Book Clubs

Anyone a member of any online bookclubs? I'm a member of one of the best... but I'm also the youngest and one of 3 (I counted them ThAWEE!) guys.

Old 04-07-2002, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

EJD New Release, Tour and Excerpt

From the desk of ERIC JEROME DICKEY—
April 3, 2002

Whassup Peeps!

Just when you thought I was done, I’m back. I know I usually show up during the summer, but those mosquitoes on the east coast ain’t no joke, so this year I’m dropping a book a little sooner. (Just kidding about the mosquitoes.) Yep, I’m back with a new book that takes place in a clandestine part of LA, a new cast of characters, more than a couple of old ones from previous books, a new tour so we can chit-chat and lollygag about it, and a surprise for you. I’m talking about you, the person reading this. (Okay, maybe not you, but let’s pretend.) I had you in mind when I thought this up. Had to come up with a way to thank you for being one of the best fans an author could ever hope to have.

NEW BOOK
The good people at Dutton say this new one is “a sexy, gritty, powerful novel about making ends meet on the wrong side of the law.” I’ll tell you that it’s about people looking for fulfillment, love, and the main chance in a city that can be a true Thieves’ Paradise.

Twenty-five-year old Dante Black is down and out in L.A. After doing a stretch of hard time in juvenile jail, he cleaned up his act as a computer techie—only to be laid off when the economy went south. Now he’s facing a mountain of unpaid bills, a car on its last legs, imminent eviction, and a snowball’s chance in hell with Pam, a sexy waitress/actress on the hunt for a man with means.

Enter Scamz, a slick brother from Dante’s checked past whose successful, illegal business associations keep him in custom-tailored suits, a Benz CL600, and a lavish Hollywood mansion with his pick of gorgeous women. Dante is determined to say straight…after one last con that could put him back on top. But he gets pulled in deeper when his old friend Jackson, who’s $16,000 behind in child support, becomes part of the sting. The icing on the cake is Pam who, seduced by the easy money, suddenly finds Dante irresistible…until everything goes wrong.

Thieves’ Paradise goes on sale Monday, May 13th, so ask for it at your favorite neighborhood bookstore…or …
pre-order your copy online from:

Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...egoodbookclubt

Barnes&Noble.com
http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/books...sbn=0525946632

Books-a-Million.com
http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/bo...pid=0525946632

Booksense.com
http://www.booksense.com

NEW TOUR

I’ll be all over the place (I’m talking ALL over the place) to get the word out about Thieves’ Paradise, and I hope to see you while I’m on the road.

Look for me in:

Los Angeles on April 27 at the Los Angeles Times Book Festival.
I’ll be part of a Fiction Panel with Tina McElroy Ansa and Bebe Moore Campbell at 2 pm

Durham, North Carolina, on Monday, May 13th at Barnes and Noble (5400 New Hope Commons) for a reading/booksigning at 7:30pm

Glen Allen, Virginia, on Tuesday, May 14th at Waldenbooks
(Virginia Center Commons—10101 Brook Road) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

Washington, D.C. on Wednesday, May 15th at Borders
(600 14th Street NW) for a reading/booksigning at 1 pm

College Park, Maryland, on Wednesday, May 15th at Vertigo Bookstore
(7346 Baltimore Avenue) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

New York City on Thursday, May 16th at the CUNY Graduate Center
(365 Fifth Avenue at 34th Street) for reading/booksigning at 7 pm

Detroit on Friday, May 17th at Apple Book Center
(7900 West Outer Drive) for a reading/booksigning at 6:30 pm

West Bloomfield, Michigan, on Saturday, May 18th at Barnes & Noble
(6800 Orchard Lake Road) for a reading/booksigning at 4:00pm
Chicago on Sunday, May 19th at Afrocentric
(333 South State Street) for a reading/booksigning at 2:00pm

and on Monday, May 20th at Waldenbooks
(Citicorp Center—500 W. Madison Street) for a reading/booksigning at 12:00pm

Beverly, Illinois, on Monday, May 20th at Borders
(2210 West 95th Street) for a reading/booksigning at 7:00pm

Cleveland on Tuesday, May 21st at Waldenbooks
(Avenue at Tower City Center—230 West Huron Road) for a reading/booksigning at 12 pm

and at Joseph-Beth Booksellers
(13217 Shaker Square) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

Louisville, Kentucky, on Wednesday, May 22 at Hawley-Cooke Booksellers
(2400 Lime Kiln Lane) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

Birmingham, Alabama, on Thursday, May 23 at Books-a-Million
(Wildwood Shopping Center—140 Wildwood Parkway) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

Atlanta on Friday, May 24th at Borders
(3637 Peachtree Road) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

and on Saturday, May 25th at Medu Bookstore
(2841 Greenbriar Parkway SW) for a reading/booksigning at 2 pm

Houston on Wednesday, May 29th at Waldenbooks
(The Park Shops—1200 McKinney Avenue) for a reading/booksigning at 12 pm

and at Shrine of the Black Madonna
(5309 Martin Luther King Boulevard) for a reading/booksigning at 6:30 pm

Dallas on Thursday, May 30th at Black Images Book Bazaar
(230 Wynnewood Village) for a reading/booksigning at 6:30 pm

Little Rock, Arkansas, on Friday, May 31st at Barnes and Noble
(11500 Financial Center Parkway) for a reading/booksigning at 7:00pm

Fox Point, Wisconsin, on Saturday, June 1st at Borders
(8705 North Port Washington) for a reading/booksigning at 2:00pm

Baltimore on Tuesday, June 4th at Sibanye, Inc.
(4031 West Rogers Avenue) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

Orlando, Florida, on Wednesday, June 5th at Montsho Books
(2009 West Central Boulevard) for a reading/booksigning at 6 pm

Memphis on Thursday, June 6th at Davis-Kidd Booksellers
(387 Perkins Road Extended) for a reading/booksigning at 6:30 pm

and on Friday, June 7th at Afro Books
(1206 Southland Mall) for a reading/booksigning at 5 pm

and look for me at the Sisterhood Conference on Saturday, June 8th
for a reading/booksigning (at the Pyramid Books exhibit) and as part of a panel discussion

Oakland on Monday, June 10th at Marcus Books
(3900 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way) for a reading/booksigning at 12:30 pm

San Francisco on Tuesday, June 11th at Alexander Book Company
(50 Second Street) for a reading/booksigning at 12:30 pm

Los Angeles on Thursday, June 13th at Eso Wan Books
(3655 South La Brea Avenue) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

Inglewood, California, on Friday, June 14th at Zahra’s Books-n-Things
(900 North La Brea Avenue) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

Long Beach, California, on Wednesday, June 19th at Education 2000 Plus
(309 Pine Avenue) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

and on Thursday, June 20th at Barnes & Noble
(6326 East Pacific Coast Highway) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

Montclair, California, on Wednesday, June 26th at Borders
(5055 South Plaza Lane) for a reading/booksigning at 7 pm

THAT SURPRISE I MENTIONED

Even though Thieves’ Paradise won’t get released for a little while, I wanted you, a fan who cares enough to give me an e-mail address (and I know you wouldn’t do that for just any writer) a sneak-peak at the new book. Just for you, here’s the beginning of Thieves’ Paradise….

Prologue

Momma shrieked.

The walls echoed her cries for Daddy to get his hands off her, brought her pleas up the stairs to my room. I jumped and my algebra book dropped from my chestnut desk onto the floor.

My father cursed.

By the time I made it to the railing and looked down into the living room, Momma was in front of my father, begging for forgiveness. Her petite frame was balled up on our Aztec-patterned sofa. She was holding her lip to keep the blood from flowing onto the fabric. I watched her rub away the pain on her cinnamon skin, then run her fingers through her wavy coal-black hair.

My old man looked up at me and grimaced. “Go back to your room, boy.”

I was fifteen and a half. Less than half of my old man’s age.

He stomped toward Momma.

She screamed and moved away from him like she was trying to run away from the madness that lived here every day.

My chest heaved as I stumbled past the grandfather clock and rushed down the stairs. My heart was pounding. I tightened my hands and hurried to my momma’s side.

“Momma,” I moaned as I kneeled next to her. “You okay?”

“I’m alright, baby. It’s nothing. Nothing.”

I looked back at my liquored-up old man. He bobbed his head and pointed back at the kitchen. “I work hard all day and come home to no dinner?”

He was slurring and sneering down on us.

I said, “Nobody knew you were coming home tonight.”

Momma tried to get up. “I overslept. My pills made me—”

“Carmen,” he shouted. “Get up off that sofa and cook. Now. Planet of the Apes comes on in an hour and I want my food on the table by the time Charlton Heston—”

“Don’t ever touch Momma again.”

“What you say?”

“He didn’t say anything.” Momma touched my arm. “I’m okay, baby. Go back and finish studying for your test.”

Daddy’s back straightened, his bushy mustache crooked as his lips curved down, his eyes widened.

“What you say to me, nigger?”

“I’m not a nigger. My name is Dante.”

“So, the nigger speaking up for himself.”

“You heard me the first time. And I ain’t a nigger.”

“You challenging me? What, you think because you got a little hair over your d*ck you’re a grown man now? Ain’t but one man in this house.”

Momma spoke carefully to Daddy. “Don’t get upset.”

I frowned at the shiny badge on the chest of his tan uniform, then at the gun in his leather holster.

He sucked his teeth, nodded, and jerked the badge off. He threw the gun holster on the love seat. He stepped away from the glass coffee table, opened his arms, and snapped out, “You want to be a man? Come on. I’ll give you the first shot. Nigger, I’ll knock your black ass into the middle of next week.”

Momma gripped my arm tight enough for her nails to break my skin. I glanced at the golden cross she had on her chest, the one she had got from her mother just a few weeks before Grandmamma died. I looked into my momma’s light brown eyes, eyes that looked like mine. “Let me go, Momma.”

“No.” She put her nose against mine and whispered, “Momma’s okay. It’s just a little scratch.”

My knees shook when I stood and faced my old man. When his eyes met mine, his anger held so much power that I forgot how to breathe. Heart went into overdrive. He balled up his right fist, slammed it into the palm of his left hand; it echoed like thunder. “What are you gonna do, nigger?”

I trembled, backed away, and said, “Nothing.”

“Nothing, what?”

“Nothing, sir.”

I kicked my bare feet into the rust carpet, then slumped my shoulders, wiped my sweaty hands on my jean shorts, and turned around to go back to my room.

Then that motherf***** chuckled.

A simple laugh that stoked up the rage inside of me.

I charged at him as fast and as hard as I could.

Momma screamed.

Daddy’s eyes widened with surprise.

Pain. Anger. Fear.

Three screams from three people.

From the backseat of the police car, I stared through the wire cage at the colorful rotating lights that were brightening Scottsdale’s earth-tone stucco houses. I was hostage under a calm sky. The spinning glow from twelve squad cars looked like rainbows chasing rainbows. Colors raced over all the sweet gum trees and windmill palms, moved like a strobe light over the vanhoutte spirea in the front of the three-car garage. The reek of cordite was on my flesh. Couldn’t really smell it over the stench of my stress sweating. I concentrated on the colors to make the pain from the tight handcuffs go away. Watched the rainbows come and go.

The door opened. A dry May breeze mixed with the sweltering car air. A police officer stuck his sweaty head inside. His face was hard, his voice angry and anxious. “Your mother wants to say something to you before we lock your ass up. We shouldn’t let her say a damn word to you after what you did. Do you mind?”

I stared straight ahead. “No.”

He raised his voice. “No, what?”

“No,” I repeated in a way that let him know I thought that all of them were assholes for making me out to be the bad guy. “I don’t mind.”

He gripped the back of my neck. “You’re pretty belligerent.”

I was a knob-kneed reed of a boy. Hadn’t lifted anything heavier than an algebra book and could barely run a mile in P.E. without passing out. That was before I started pumping weights, before squats, before doing two hundred push-ups in the morning to start my day, doing sprints, before the hooks and jabs and side kicks and roundhouse kicks and spinning back kicks became my trademark.

I said, “F*** you.”

With his other hand he grabbed the front of my throat and squeezed, made me gag and look into his blue eyes. He growled, “Say, ‘No, sir. I don’t mind, sir.’ You insolent bastard.”

He let me go when another officer passed by. I gagged and caught my breath while perspiration tingled down my forehead into my eyes. I tilted my head and looked at him.

He smirked. “Now, what you have to say?”

I spat in his face.

His cheeks turned crimson. He stared at me while my saliva rolled down his scarred face into his ill-trimmed wheat-colored mustache.

“That’s your ass, boy.”

Veins popped up in his neck while he stood there, handkerchief in hand, clenching his teeth and wiping my juices from his eye. He kept watching me, wanted me to break down and show my fear. It was there, but I refused to let it be seen. Another officer passed by and scarface told him what I’d done. It looked like they were about to double team me, but the second officer said they had to report the assault and they both stormed away.

A second later the door opened again and my mother eased her bruised face inside.

She said, “Don’t hate me.”

“Love you, Momma.” I smiled. “Get away from here.”

She fondled her wedding ring. Tears formed in her eyes. She dropped the police blanket from her shoulders, took her cross off, and put it around my neck.

She used her soft fingers to wipe the sweat from my eyes.

“Somebody’ll come get you out. Maybe Uncle Ray. You might be able to go back to Philly and stay with him for a while.”

“Uncle Ray don’t like us. We’re Catholic; Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t like nobody but Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

“Stop saying that.”

“It’s true.”

“I’ll call him anyway. I’ll tell him you made honor roll, so he’ll know you’re still doing good in school. Let him know you might get a scholarship. You could help him around his grocery store in the evenings.”

I shook my head. “Don’t worry about me. Get away before he hurts you. All he’s gonna do is beat you up, then go out to Fort McDowell and spend the night with that Indian woman. He ain’t been home in two days, then walks in complaining about some stupid dinner. Tomorrow he’ll be mad about his shirts. The next day his shoes.”

My old man was standing in a crowd of badges, guns, and whispers. The ambulance crew had bandaged his head and he was back on his feet. I’d beat him with everything I could get my hands on.

He made a single-finger gesture for Momma to come.

My beautiful momma looked tired of the life she was living, and that made me sad. She wiped her eyes and kissed the side of my face. “You understand, don’t you? You’re a big boy now. Almost a man. You can take care of yourself. You understand.”

I kissed the side of her face as my answer.

“Don’t be angry.” She twisted her lips. “Don’t be like him.”

“I won’t.” I smiled for her. “Go back inside before you get in trouble. Stop taking so much of that medication.”

She rubbed her eyes, then dragged her fingers down across her lips. “It calms my nerves.”

“Why you wanna sleep so much?”

“Sometimes,” she patted my legs with her thin fingers, “sometimes I have nice dreams.”

She was distant, reciting and not living the words.

I said, “Dreams ain’t real, Momma.”

“Sometimes—” she started, then stopped and kissed my forehead. Her voice became as melodic as the poetry she always read. “Sometimes they’re better than what’s real.”

I fought the dryness in my throat that always came before my tears. I was scared. Fifteen and a half and
living in fear.

She wandered away, wringing her hands and looking back at me every other step. We blew each other dysfunctional kisses.

I’d be in juvenile hall, then a boys’ home until I was old enough to register for the draft and vote.

Living with criminals would be like going to a different kinda school. Nigerians, Mexicans, Whites, no matter what nationality, they were all caught up in the same game. And didn’t hesitate to lend to the schooling on everything from Three Card Monte to Rocks in a Box to Pigeon Drops, even broke down how to pass bad checks. A few were bold enough to run telephone scams from the inside.

That was different from the education I was after.

I had dreams of getting into Howard, to a frat life and a world filled with sorority girls. Always wanted to stomp in a Greek Show. Make enough money to get a small place, get Momma to move in with me. I was working on our escape.

But that night, guess I had had all I could stand and couldn’t stand no more. I wanted to be like a
superhero and rescue my momma. That was my mission in life. What motivated me.

Hard to save anybody when you’re locked up, when you’re too busy trying to fight to save yourself. When you’ve made yourself a prisoner.

I did want to save her. That gave my life a lot of purpose.

But there would be no Howard. No sorority girl at my side. And the closest thing to a frat I would see would be a bunch of young hardheads lining up for roll call, all wearing prison blues, most with tattoos. Our Greek Show was marching in sync to go get our meals.

Momma would find her own way to freedom.

My momma would take too many pills and become an angel.

My daddy would be found dead behind the wheel of his Thunderbird at Fort McDowell. Ambushed and shot outside of a married Indian woman’s place.

On that night of changes, I sat in the back of that squad car staring at the colorful lights that were dancing in the night to make my pain go away. Watched the rainbows chasing the rainbows.

--Reprinted from Thieves’ Paradise by Eric Jerome Dickey by permission of Dutton, a member of Penguin Putnam Inc. Copyright © 2002 by Eric Jerome Dickey. All rights reserved. This excerpt, or any parts thereof, may not be reproduced without permission.

Take care and be good—

Virginia Jerry’s grandson,

EJD

Want more? Chapter One is posted online at my Web site!

PageTurner.net - Web Sites and Literary Services
PMB 120
2951 Marina Bay Dr., Suite 130
League City, TX 77573
Phone: (530)688-7103
Fax: (530)688-7103
Web site: http://www.pageturner.net
E-mail: webmaster@pageturner.net

***NOTE: I edited the F words but this books sounds much better than that HOT MESS he put out last year.****
Old 04-30-2002, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

lupus

Will you please support the Lupus Foundation? Lupus affects over one million americans. It affects more women than men and more black women than all other groups of people. If you are interested in supporting the Lupus Foundation, you can by purchasing a copy of a new book, "I Mean No Offense" by Fields-Floyd-Lister. It's a story about two friends struggles in life. A portion of profits will go to the Lupus Foundation. If you have an questions please e-mail me at mscal2002@yahoo.com.

thank you

cynthia lister
Old 05-01-2002, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow E. Lynn News

May 1, 2002.

Dear Friends:

Happy May Day! I know it’s been a while since I last communicated with you and that’s because I’ve been busy finishing up my new novel A Love Of My Own. I wanted to share some news and update you!

First a bit of good news. On Friday May 3, 2002 I will be hosting an evening with one of my favorite authors Tina McElroy Ansa in New York at the Barnes and Noble Union Square, 7:30 p.m. Please join Tina and myself for an entertaining evening as we discuss her new novel, You Know Better.

Now the update. The publication date for my new novel has been moved from July 9, 2002 to July 30, 2002**(PERFECT CT4 27th BIRTHDAY PRESENT)**. It will include several new characters and old favorites like Raymond Winston Tyler and John Basil Henderson. Look for details and excerpts coming in early June 2002.

I will be touring this summer and we’ve added some new cities. I am looking forward to visiting Nashville, Tennessee, Tampa, Florida, Cleveland, Ohio, Louisville, Kentucky, Pasadena, California and Portland, Oregon in addition to my yearly favorites. Please check the website in June for details and dates.

Finally I am pleased to announce that Any Way The Wind Blows won Blackboard’s Novel of the Year and Showtime has just purchased Invisible Life and Just As I Am for the screen. I’m excited because I will be more involved with the project and joining me as producers are: Robert Townsend, Loretha Jones and Academy Award Winner Halle Berry. Halle is
one of the producers and I am grateful to have all three of these talented people and Showtime on my team. Well, that’s it for now. I am still behind on your e-mails, but I am trying.

Warm Regards and Blessings,
e. lynn harris
Old 05-01-2002, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

DAYUM....

I guess I'mma have to get legit....

Only when the movies premiere, only when the movies premiere....LMAO!
Old 05-02-2002, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: E. Lynn News

Quote:
May 1, 2002.

Dear Friends:

Happy May Day! I know it’s been a while since I last communicated with you and that’s because I’ve been busy finishing up my new novel A Love Of My Own. I wanted to share some news and update you!

First a bit of good news. On Friday May 3, 2002 I will be hosting an evening with one of my favorite authors Tina McElroy Ansa in New York at the Barnes and Noble Union Square, 7:30 p.m. Please join Tina and myself for an entertaining evening as we discuss her new novel, You Know Better.

Now the update. The publication date for my new novel has been moved from July 9, 2002 to July 30, 2002**(PERFECT CT4 27th BIRTHDAY PRESENT)**. It will include several new characters and old favorites like Raymond Winston Tyler and John Basil Henderson. Look for details and excerpts coming in early June 2002.

I will be touring this summer and we’ve added some new cities. I am looking forward to visiting Nashville, Tennessee, Tampa, Florida, Cleveland, Ohio, Louisville, Kentucky, Pasadena, California and Portland, Oregon in addition to my yearly favorites. Please check the website in June for details and dates.

Finally I am pleased to announce that Any Way The Wind Blows won Blackboard’s Novel of the Year and Showtime has just purchased Invisible Life and Just As I Am for the screen. I’m excited because I will be more involved with the project and joining me as producers are: Robert Townsend, Loretha Jones and Academy Award Winner Halle Berry. Halle is
one of the producers and I am grateful to have all three of these talented people and Showtime on my team. Well, that’s it for now. I am still behind on your e-mails, but I am trying.

Warm Regards and Blessings,
e. lynn harris
Hmmmmmmm. I luv me some e.lynn. Can't wait for July 30 (and CT4's birthday)
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 05-02-2002 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: E. Lynn News

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek

Hmmmmmmm. I luv me some e.lynn. Can't wait for July 30 (and CT4's birthday)
My birthday is August 1 so you have 2 days to buy and express mail it to me,
Old 05-04-2002, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 9dstpm
Book update

Thanks soror!! I'm going to the library today and put my name on the waiting list for those two books. I should be in the top five on the list. If not, then I'll have to break down and buy them.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Sex and the Single Sister

I picked the book Sex and the Single Sister by Maryann Reid today from the FREE BOOKSTORE.

I am almost done with it. It is 5 short stories on Black women in their 20s experiences with men, dating, and sex. I just read the 3rd one and I am so pissed with Kenya right now for letting her Latino man get away.

Anyone else read it?

I picked up some other books this morning but they are all in the car. Two of them were When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost and The Wind Done Gone.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Book Recommendation

Someone To Catch My Drift by Jacqueline Powell

Aspiring singer Nikai Parker is depressed. Her boyfriend has been sent to jail for dating an underage girl, and she feels abandoned and desperate. That is, until her best friend, Sheila, convinces her that a night of clubbing is exactly what she needs to forget her troubles and lift her spirits. While at the club, Nikai's luck begins to improve when she meets a handsome firefighter named Robert Hayes-whom she believes may just be the man of her dreams. As their relationship progresses, Nikai falls completely in love and begins making plans to spend the rest of her life with Robert. However, lady luck has other plans-because Robert is involved with another woman, and this sassy hairdresser named Karen is not going to give up her man without a fight.

About the Author
Jacqueline Powell is a first-time novelist from St. Louis, Missouri. She is currently working on her second novel.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

books, books, books...

So far I've read...

1) The Upper Room by Mary Monroe
Rating: **** Stars

2) Living on the Edge of Respectability by Suzette D. Harrison (I think she's a soror)
Rating: *** stars

3) The Prodigal Husband by Jacquelin Thomas
In the process of reading now

4) Satin Doll (forgot that name of the author)
Rating ****

Check 'em out!
Old 06-24-2002, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeliteful Send a message via Yahoo to skeeliteful
Re: Book Recommendation

Quote:
Someone To Catch My Drift by Jacqueline Powell

Aspiring singer Nikai Parker is depressed. Her boyfriend has been sent to jail for dating an underage girl, and she feels abandoned and desperate. That is, until her best friend, Sheila, convinces her that a night of clubbing is exactly what she needs to forget her troubles and lift her spirits. While at the club, Nikai's luck begins to improve when she meets a handsome firefighter named Robert Hayes-whom she believes may just be the man of her dreams. As their relationship progresses, Nikai falls completely in love and begins making plans to spend the rest of her life with Robert. However, lady luck has other plans-because Robert is involved with another woman, and this sassy hairdresser named Karen is not going to give up her man without a fight.

About the Author
Jacqueline Powell is a first-time novelist from St. Louis, Missouri. She is currently working on her second novel.

I read this book about a month ago. I don't want to give any info about the book away but I read it in 3 days. It's a pretty good read.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DztndDiva Send a message via Yahoo to DztndDiva
Eric Jerome Dickey

EJD's new novel Theive's Paradise is good. It's different from his other books. Not that his books from last year were mess , but this one is just different compared to the others.

Anyway I'm just ready for his books and e lynn harris's books to become movies so I can see if the director invisioned the scenes like I do.

Last edited by DztndDiva; 06-27-2002 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Eric Jerome Dickey

Quote:
Originally posted by DztndDiva
EJD's new novel Theive's Paradise is good. It's different from his other books. Not that his books from last year were mess , but this one is just different compared to the others. He even mentions a little bit (VERY LITTLE)about Greek life (he's an Alpha). Harris is a Kappa but never mentions it his books, unless its in the new one.

Anyway I'm just ready for his books and e lynn harris's books to become movies so I can see if the director invisioned the scenes like I do.
Soror, both Eric Jerome Dickey and E. Lynn Harris are Alphas. Just because he is homosexual does not make him a Kappa.

I agree EJD lightweight redeemed himself from last year's BULL that he wrote. EJD has thrown Greek allusions into his past books as well.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up for you literary lovers

Sorors and Sisterfriends,
The Delta National Convention will offer you chances to purchase books by Black authors.

On Tuesday night, July 23 from 7:30pm-9:30pm there will be a FREE Literary Cafe featuring 5 authors who will read from their most current works and sign books. These authors range from new to established:

Pearl Cleage
Tina Ansa
Victoria Christopher Murray
Rose McGee
Venise Berry

In addition the following authors will be selling their books in the Vendor hall throughout the convention. Stop by.

Bishop Vashti McKenzie
Dr. Renita Weems
J. L. King
Dr. Marilyn Gaston
Pearl Cleage
Freeman Hrabowski
Tina Ansa
Rose McGee
Victoria Christopher Murray
Venise Berry
Arnitria Karen Shaw
Marjorie Harris
Bonnie W. McDaniel
Alice Johnson
Irene Williams Lawson
Linda Everett Moye
Clarice C. Boswell
Dorothy Winbush Riley
Dr. Nathaniel Brooks Jr.
Vickie Lynn Wilson
Brian Egeston
Stephanie Moore
Clara Adams-Ender
Patricia Haley
Janette McCarthy
New Anna Simone
Wendy Coakley-Thompson
J. Lanell White
C. F. Hawthorne
Lennise Morris
Corey Tate
Jacqueline Thomas
John Dunson
Roxie Dewitt Dawson
Charisse K. Richardson

BTW, we invited EJD but he had a scheduling conflict and we invited E. Lynn. But since his new book will not be released until July 30 he is taking the month of July off to rest up.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 06-26-2002 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Diva_01 Send a message via Yahoo to Diva_01
Sorors...

I know I'm late, but I LOVED Liar's Game!!! I can't believe some of yall didn't like it...now, Thieve's Paradise and the one before that was okay...
Old 06-28-2002, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Eric Jerome Dickey

Quote:

Soror, both Eric Jerome Dickey and E. Lynn Harris are Alphas. Just because he is homosexual does not make him a Kappa.

I agree EJD lightweight redeemed himself from last year's BULL that he wrote. EJD has thrown Greek allusions into his past books as well.

Is EJD a homosexual too? Just curious. CT4, I'm like you...I totally didn't like Between Lovers by EJD. That's why I was so slow to pick up this next book, but since you all said that he picked it up a notch, I'll have to get that really soon.

Lady Greek, thanks for informing us about that Literary Cafe at the National Convention
Old 06-28-2002, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kiml122
Liar's Games was the first book by EJD that I didn't like. It took everything I had to finish that book. I thought Between Lovers was ok. It was very slow starting, and he mentioned being greek in the book, but didn't mention which org he belonged to. With Between Lovers, am I the only one that thinks that book was semi-autobiographical (if not all)? I don't know, but I just think he has some truth in it.

I read the excert for Thieves Paradise at the end of Between Lovers, and I have ordered it. It does seem to be different from his other books. Hopefully Balck Experience will send my books. They are starting to make me think that they are not about business and are not going to send the books that I have ordered.

I see someone else thinks that EJD is gay too. I thouhgt I was the only one that thought that. I don't have anything to pinpoint on why I think that he is....but I do.

Be Breezy - Calvin from "House of Payne"
Old 06-29-2002, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

EJD

Quote:
Originally posted by kiml122
Liar's Games was the first book by EJD that I didn't like. It took everything I had to finish that book. I thought Between Lovers was ok. It was very slow starting, and he mentioned being greek in the book, but didn't mention which org he belonged to. With Between Lovers, am I the only one that thinks that book was semi-autobiographical (if not all)? I don't know, but I just think he has some truth in it.

I see someone else thinks that EJD is gay too. I thouhgt I was the only one that thought that. I don't have anything to pinpoint on why I think that he is....but I do.
I see y'all did a heck of a lot of talknig in my absence.

Kim I think Between Lovers was autobiographical as well. Did anyone notice that there was NO NAME for the man who was an author on abook tour. Too much like EJD.

I am not totally sold on him being gay. He is my favorite male author because he really writes as if he is a studier of humans, our thoughts, actions and words PLUS BROTHA has the bomb love scenes.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Sitting in the Front Pew

Sitting in the Front Pew by Parry "EbonySatin" Brown was an off the hook read. I bought it yesterday and finished it in one day. It deals with the death of the father who was loved by his 4 daughters and their grieving as well as finding out a family secret.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going to pick that book up CT4. I luv discussing books on the forum. It's very informative!
Old 07-02-2002, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up A book a day

Yesterday and today I read 2 good books:

1. The Prodigal Husband by Jacquelin Thomas (spritual fiction): She is the author of Singsation, another good read. This one deals with a husband who has an affair, leaves his wife after their child dies, and his return home a year later. The wife is a believer, but the husband is not. Interesting dynamics

2. Sin in Soul's Kitchen by Andrew Oyefesobi: Soror Kelli (yes that one ) bought this for me last year as a birthday (AUGUST 1 ) present and I finished it today. Good read. The major female antagonist is demented and crazy. The major male protagonist battles her and his family legacy while trying to establish himself after graduating with his MBA.

**If you want more book reviews, send cash fast. I registered for a library card today but if the library is out of the book, I cannot read it. ***
Old 07-09-2002, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

from Seeing Black.com

Body Images, Then and Now

By Esther Iverem
SeeingBlack.com Editor

Those of us who are—all in one body—a woman, a person of color and a person of working class or poor origin, already know about the discomforting gaze that seeks to consume or "objectify" us for prurient entertainment or derogatory judgment. Those of us who fancy ourselves members of the Black female intelligentsia may feel we know about even more—everything from Saartjie Baartman (the Venus Hottentot), who was displayed in 19th century Europe as a sexual freak, to rapper Lil' Kim, who uses the sexual freak badge as a modern marketing tool. But all of us, and all who care about representation and culture, must read "The Black Female Body: A Photographic History" (Temple University Press)," by Deborah Willis and Carla (NICE NAME ) Williams.

Filled with carefully chosen images, many rare and some never produced for mass distribution, this 228-page volume is a groundbreaking, scholarly yet accessible analysis of how the Black female body has been represented in photography from its inception to the present. Using aesthetic, social as well as historical approaches, Willis and Williams illustrate how the photograph—which can create a false sense of reality and authenticity—has been a powerful means of reinforcing the European view that darker peoples of the world are inferior. As an extension, the images, especially those of nude, partially nude and undressed women, helped create a justification for colonialism, slavery and sexual abuse of Black women. They write: "Above all else, [the Black woman's] image, and especially her body, was understood to represent that which could be dominated and that which could be possessed, especially sexually."

It isn't always easy to look at this book. The 1850 images of two African American female slaves, Delia and Drana, made to strip to the waist for the camera are heartbreaking. While frontal and profile images seem designed to type the unsmiling women as ethnographic specimens, they actually mark the women's subjugation and humiliation. So while "The Black Female Body" is beautifully produced and the sort of volume usually considered a "coffee table book," I do not think it is the kind of book to lay around the home to be leafed through casually, especially by children. Many of the pictures, if allowed to speak for themselves, subvert the book's purpose and allow perpetuation of negative images without a deeper understanding of the manipulation behind them. Our children should see these images but only if we also explain to them what they are seeing. This book isn't all eye candy.

Williams and Willis, a MacArthur fellow, have compiled a tour de force of images and text that will make you think differently not only about African and African American history but also about the unique struggles that Black women have within that larger history. Depending on your relationship with your body, you may find yourself negotiating painful memory or a defiant new territory of freedom. By exploring also how Black photographers, and Black female photographers in particular, have reclaimed Black female images and bodies through their work, this book does not leave us in a state of victimization. In some sense, "The Black Female Body" is the antithesis of "Reflections in Black," the massive 1999 exhibit and book by Willis. By chronicling images taken of Black people by Black people, "Reflections in Black," lets the subjects speak. In contrast, images in "The Black Female Body," particularly those in the first sections devoted to "Colonial Conquest" and "The Cultural Body", often do not allow such voice. The focus here—while reaching to include supporting material from essays, films and even comedy—does not waver from the taboo and beautiful Black female body, and the various gazes upon it.

Esther Iverem's film reviews also appear on BET.com

-- May 24, 2002
Old 07-09-2002, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: EJD

Quote:
Kim I think Between Lovers was autobiographical as well. Did anyone notice that there was NO NAME for the man who was an author on abook tour. Too much like EJD.
Yes I did notice that as well. As a matter of fact I flipped back through the bookw hile reading it to see if I had missed the name of the male lead. I kind of thought that book was some what autbiographical.

I just read Addictied by Zane last week. REad it in 2 days, that book was a trip. The ending was way out there.

I'm reading Thieves Paradise by EJD now, in the beginning I wasn't feeling it, but I'm only chapter or two from finishing and it has turned to out to be ok. I must admit, some of the things in that book as well were/are a trip.

Old 07-09-2002, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: EJD

Quote:

Yes I did notice that as well. As a matter of fact I flipped back through the bookw hile reading it to see if I had missed the name of the male lead. I kind of thought that book was some what autbiographical.

I just read Addictied by Zane last week. REad it in 2 days, that book was a trip. The ending was way out there.

I kept looking back to like now dang EJD is tripping.

Addicted's ending seemed forced. The reason why the husband was "stale" in bed seemed convoluted to me. Then his sudden transformation into a sex freak -- sure I could buy it.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: EJD

Quote:
Addicted's ending seemed forced. The reason why the husband was "stale" in bed seemed convoluted to me. Then his sudden transformation into a sex freak -- sure I could buy it.
Oh my gosh CT4 I thought the same damn thing. I was like hold up, he over his hang up just like that and......BAM he mister freaky man, get real.

Forced or not, that fool Quinton was a looney. I still keep thinking about what he did.

Old 07-09-2002, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: EJD

Quote:

Oh my gosh CT4 I thought the same damn thing. I was like hold up, he over his hang up just like that and......BAM he mister freaky man, get real.

Forced or not, that fool Quinton was a looney. I still keep thinking about what he did.
All of a sudden DUDE wanted it ALL from his wife who he instantaneously forgave.

Oh and her hot azz's reason as to why she was a freak was convoluted as well. I'm sorry I just don't buy it.

Quinton, dude, umm, wow. He had me freaked at what he did.

Not to knock Zane because on some level the book was enjoyable because I read it in one sitting but there was some unrealistic MESS up in that book.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: EJD

Quote:

All of a sudden DUDE wanted it ALL from his wife who he instantaneously forgave.

Oh and her hot azz's reason as to why she was a freak was convoluted as well. I'm sorry I just don't buy it.

Quinton, dude, umm, wow. He had me freaked at what he did.

Not to knock Zane because on some level the book was enjoyable because I read it in one sitting but there was some unrealistic MESS up in that book.
I have to agree on all points. I read it in 2 days and it was a good read, but there were times I was like stop this ish right now because I am not buying it at all.

I said the samething as to the reason they gave that wifey poo was the way she was/is. Girl that Quinton thing was just plain eerie.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Sex and the Single Sister

Quote:
I picked the book Sex and the Single Sister by Maryann Reid today from the FREE BOOKSTORE.

I am almost done with it. It is 5 short stories on Black women in their 20s experiences with men, dating, and sex. I just read the 3rd one and I am so pissed with Kenya right now for letting her Latino man get away.

Anyone else read it?

I got it yesterday and I just finished it today! I knew I had heard someone mention this book. I 'd give this book 3 out of 5 stars.
Closed Thread